The Glebe of Westover Parish
12800 The Glebe LaneCharles City, Virginia 23030

 

2007 Stuat Avenue

 

Built circa 1732 as one of Virginia’s original glebes, The Glebe of Westover Parish is one of a small number still standing in the Commonwealth. The three Bedroom/three Bath historic house is listed on both the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Historic Landmarks Register. Combining original Colonial architecture with decorative Federal detailing, the brick and slate treasure sits at the end of a tree-lined lane, nestled into 102 acres of cultivated farmland.    


LEGAL:     The Glebe PS #98, DB 90-208, 104-462, DB 154-88, IN#13-748 et al
BUILT IN:   c. 1732
HVAC:    4 zone, heat pumps, backup oil with hydronic coil
HOT WATER:   50 gallon, electric
SQUARE FOOTAGE:  2,724
TAXES:   $ 3,598 (41-6A, 41-7, 41-6)
PRICE:   $1,290,000

 

FIRST  FLOOR  DESCRIPTION

Exterior Entrance:  The original dwelling (c 1732) is a charming five-bay, one-and-a-half-story brick building set on an English basement and laid in Flemish bond with glazed headers and rubbed-brick corners. Two exterior end chimneys are part of the original structure. An early 19th-century ell projects from the center bay of the rear original wall. It consists of a hyphen with north- and south-facing exterior doors connected to a square single-cell block structure with a pyramidal hipped roof and an interior end chimney. The ell is also laid in Flemish bond. Both the ell and the original dwelling feature a stepped water table. A one-story frame wing was added to the north elevation in the early 20th century.

Front Entrance Hall:   22’9” x 11’7” ~ Through out the original house, window and door openings were changed in the early 19th century, probably at the same time the ell was added. The elaborate Federal-style front entrance is distinguished by a raised panel front door crowned by an intricate leaded glass elliptical fanlight with feather and flower motifs. The entrance is further set off by leaded side lights with a decorative dogwood pattern. A custom-designed wood-and-glass storm door mimics the dogwood pattern. Wide multi-member cased openings with corner bull’s eye block detail to the Living Room, the Dining Room, and the Hyphen. Likely the only architectural remnant of the house’s original Colonial period, a handsome staircase with turned balusters and molded hand rail leads to the Second Floor. A wide landing is accented by a Gothic barrel-vaulted rear dormer that brings natural light to both upstairs and downstairs halls. Paneling on the staircase likely dates from the early 19th-century period remodeling. Under the staircase is a raised panel door with original iron H-hinges and a brass lock to the English basement. Wainscoting. Heart pine floor.

The Hyphen: 17’ x 9” ~ Linking the original house with its later 19th-century addition, now the Master Bedroom, this hallway has a pair of 7’2” raised panel doors with original iron H-hinges  and side lights facing both north and south. Two closets with louvered doors. Overhead light. Heart pine floor. A 2’ thick interior cased opening with reeded design and corner bull’s eye detail leads to the Master Bedroom.

Master Bedroom:    22’6” x 21’ ~ Originally built as a ballroom or other public, multi-purpose room, the beautifully proportioned Master Bedroom has five 6’6” tall windows with venetian blinds, each set in a 16” deep flared recess. Fireplace with stone hearth and brick surround is currently fitted with stainless steel sleeved Jotul wood stove (easily removable). Decorative mantelpiece with center oval sunburst embellishment has reeded pilasters with vertical elliptical sunburst details. Two closets, one small with storage above, and one double doored, fitted, 5’6” wide, and with storage above. American Standard programmable thermostat. Wainscoting. Heart pine floor.

Private Master Bath:    Tub/shower with decorative ceramic tile surround and storage above. Ceramic tile floor, custom vanity with tile counter. Marble threshold. One window 6’6” tall with venetian blinds.

Living Room:  22’10” x 17’8” ~ Fireplace with brick hearth and surround is fitted with a stainless steel sleeved Jotul wood stove (easily removable). There is a 6’7” wide mantelpiece composed of symmetrically molded pilasters supporting entablature blocks with vertical sunburst detail and a large horizontal sunburst frieze with dentil work cornice. Three 6’8” tall windows with venetian blinds, each set in a 22” deep flared recess. Impressive three member crown moulding. Five-branch scrolled chandelier. American Standard programmable thermostat. Ceiling height is 10’8”. Wainscoting. Heart pine floor. 3’8” wide “Pent Closet” has an arched opening with reeded panels and corner bull’s eye detail. Ten shelves. One window with venetian blinds, set in a 12” deep recess with fluting.

Dining Room: 22’7” x 17’5” ~ Fireplace with brick hearth and surround and a 6’7” wide mantelpiece with reeded detail. Three 6’8” tall windows with venetian blinds, each set in a 22” deep flared recess. Impressive three member crown moulding. Unusual 1800’s 8-light metal wire chandelier with dozens of tiny wire tassels, originally made for burning candles, wired for electricity at a later date, stamped with hallmark. [marked “Afton Grove”.]  Wainscoting. Heart pine floor. Pent Closet similar to that in Living Room serves as Butlers Pantry with 10 shelves and Passage to Kitchen.

Kitchen:    19’ x 9’3” ~ Frame wing was added in the early 20th century. Recently renovated with wide galley work area opening into a large Breakfast Room. Efficient and modern with 19 running feet of countertop work space. Built-in corner hutch with pine countertop and bead board back, glass front cabinets above and a pull-out trash area below. Pine countertops on both sides. Raised panel cabinet front Sub-Zero refrigerator with multiple shelves and drawers. Undercounter icemaker. Deep 31” wide Kohler porcelain farm sink with In-Sink-Erator and restaurant-grade brushed nickel Kraus swivel faucet with separate 28” swivel sprayer. Double window above sink with old glass from Caravati’s. Ten recessed lights, overhead light fixture. GE stainless dishwasher with concealed control panel, microwave niche, Wolf 6-burner gas range with interchangeable grill and griddle, Wolf stainless hood with fan, 4’ stone backsplash with center detail and convenient pot filler spigot. Two ovens, one convection, one regular. All cabinets are of raised panel design with pulls. Heart pine floor. Open to the Breakfast Room.

Breakfast Room:    13’3” x 13’3” ~ Floor-to-ceiling raised panel pantry cabinets on one side, full width built-in raised panel cabinets with tv opening and display areas with beadboard backs, pine countertop, and base cabinets on other side. Plenty of room for a farmhouse table. Nine-light iron chandelier. Honeywell programmable thermostat. Open to the Kitchen. Raised panel door to Mud Room/Laundry. Original heart pine floor.

 

Second Full Bath:    8’ x 7’6” ~ Raised panel door from Kitchen to Second Full Bath. Stall shower with honed “travertine” design ceramic Italian tile, mosaic glass tile accents, two granite corner shelves and threshold. Tall storage cabinet. Kohler pedestal sink with reeded banding. One window with venetian blinds. 9’2” ceiling, sloped. Raised panel door to Mud Room/Laundry.

Mudroom/ Laundry:    20’10” x 8’4” ~ Previously a screened porch, now what every family wants and needs: a fitted Mud Room with loads of storage and original brick floor. 9’8” ceiling, sloped. One wall of shiplap siding. Four double windows. Washer/Dryer hookups with raised panel cabinets above. Built-in floor-to-ceiling storage with 7 divisions and seats. Two ceiling fans with lights. Exterior door with raised panel X design and 9-light window. Brick steps up to raised panel door to Breakfast Room. Brick steps up to Second Full Bath.

SECOND  FLOOR  DESCRIPTION

Hall: 11’10” wide ~ overlooking the staircase and landing from the First Floor. Raised panel doors to Second and Third Bedrooms, Third Full Bath. Heart pine floor.

Second Bedroom: 18’1” x 17’11” ~ Two barrel vaulted gothic dormer windows with venetian blinds, each set in a deep 22” recess. 6’2” wide fireplace with brick hearth and surround with mantel distinguished by matchstick dentil detail and side panels. Closet with rod and three shelves, overhead light. Heart pine floor.

Third Full Bath: Ceramic tile stall Shower with corner seat and Euro sprayer. Vanity with cabinets below and a belly-front curved ceramic top, glass shelf. Deep window seat with signature barrel vaulted gothic dormer window. Ceramic tile floor.  

Third Bedroom: 18’1” x 17’11” ~ Two barrel vaulted gothic dormer windows with venetian blinds, each set in a deep 22” recess. The 4’8” wide fireplace with brick hearth and surround has a plain Colonial period mantel and simple reeded detail most likely present in the original 1730s dwelling. Closet with rod and 4 shelves, overhead light. Heart pine floor.

 

 

ENGLISH  BASEMENT  DESCRIPTION

Family or Rec Room: 29’8” x 19’8” ~ Brick walls. Steps to exterior double door. Two English basement windows. Mitsubishi wall-mounted heat pump with separate thermostat. Terracotta ceramic tile floor. Door to Storage Room.

Storage Room: 19’8” x 9’ ~ One window. Mitsubishi wall-mounted heat pump (?). Counter with wide shelves, cabinets, and corner shelves. Ceramic tile floor.

Utility/Storage Room: 19’8” x 6’6” ~ One window. Wall shelves. Whirlpool hot water heater, 50 gallon. WellXtrol water tank.

OUTSIDE  DESCRIPTION

Exterior Front Approach: The Westover Parish Glebe is approached by a tree-lined lane that courses through a panorama of gently rolling, open fields, 88 of which are  under cultivation. The lane is studded by centuries-old tulip poplars and walnuts, plus well established magnolias, cedars, sycamores, crape myrtles and dogwoods. The ¼ mile lane fans out into a classic teardrop front circle to meet the brick and slate house. Semi-circular brick steps echo the Federally inspired front door with its impressive leaded fan and side lights. Visitors will notice the charming detail of ancient initials carved into the brick, allegedly by couples waiting for the resident clergy to administer their nuptial rites.

Rear Yard:   Fully fenced and distinguished by a line of sycamores, crape myrtles and magnolias as well as 200+-year old walnuts, the rear yard is a park-like sweep of lawn overlooking cultivated fields and livestock paddocks. There are numerous useful outbuildings including a large 2-room tool house/farm office, a fully outfitted chicken house, a dog run and kennel. Additionally , there is a lovely arbor perfect for climbing roses.

Barnyard Area: This fully operational farm has numerous outdoor structures including a large 83’ x 39’ equipment shed with poured concrete floor and 15’4” ceiling height to accommodate large farm equipment. Additionally there is a traditional horse barn with five stalls, two tack rooms and interior stairs to ample hay storage above. Center section is partially laid with old cobblestone rescued from the 20th-century paving of Monument Avenue in Richmond. There is a small pig parlor plus several run-in sheds for sheep, cows and horses. Farm is fully fenced with livestock loading ramps.

SPECIAL FEATURES

History: The Glebe of Westover Parish, one of Virginia’s 16 original glebes, distinguished by two historic designations, is listed on both The National Register of Historic Places and The Virginia Historic Landmarks Register. A new Westover Parish was established in 1720 with Peter Fontaine, a Huguenot educated at Trinity College, Dublin, installed as its first minister. He also served as chaplain to William Byrd’s legendary 1728 expedition to survey the Virginia-North Carolina boundary line. The two small glebes that made up this Parish were ordered by the Legislature of 1730 to be sold in order to purchase a new, more convenient glebe. The current property, located a short distance from Charles City Court House, was purchased from Philip Lightfoot in 1732 and the present house built shortly thereafter. Subsequent clerical residents included William Davis, James Ogilvie and John Dunbar, who fought a duel in the then parish courtyard. Sewal Chapin was the last minister to live in the house, which was sold to Patrick Hendron in 1807 following an act of the General Assembly requiring the sale of all Virginia glebes out of the hands of the church and into private ownership.

Architectural Significance: The 1 ½ -story, five bay brick house, built ca. 1732, is instructive for its curious blend of Colonial and Federal architectural features. The plain, nearly rustic simplicity of the staircase and the mantel treatment in one second floor bedroom is dramatically at odds with the rest of the dwelling’s elaborate woodwork and front entrance, all believed to have been added in the early 19th century when non-clergy owners added the ell and updated the trim to reflect more pretentious decoration of the day. This sheds light on the social standing of the colonial Anglican clergy; while under church ownership, vestries assumed responsibility for their parsons but felt no obligation to provide more than decent, plain quarters for them. It was necessary for the private buyer to add fussier, more virtuoso decorative effects.

Systems:
Well: Artesian, 250+ feet deep
Septic: Conventional
HVAC: 3 zones, heat pump with oil backup on first floor, Mitsubishi wall-mounted heat pump for basement level
Electric: Panel box breakers
Central Air: Zoned
Cross-over Generator Ready

Indoor Highlights:
Original heart pine floors, recently restored, replaced and refinished
10’8” ceilings on first floor
Impressive multi-member decorative trim
Stunning Federal Entrance with rounded brick steps and striking leaded glass fan- and sidelights
Double hung 6’8” windows with original glass on first floor
Signature barrel vaulted Gothic dormers on second floor
Five wood burning fireplaces (in every room but the Kitchen)
Private first-floor Master, separated from main house by a hyphen, with en suite Bath, two Closets and Fireplace
Convenient brick floored Mudroom with built-ins and laundry hook ups
Enormous (nearly 20’x30’) finished English basement with terra cotta tile floor

Outdoor Highlights:
102 fertile open acres, 88 in cultivation, with striking vistas in all directions.
Fully fenced back and front with park-like lawn and stately trees
Numerous outbuildings including grain storage silos, barn, equipment sheds, chicken coop, run-in sheds, tool house, workshop – perfect for livestock and farming operations

The Glebe is located in historic Charles City County, halfway between Richmond and Williamsburg, the current and Colonial capitols of Virginia. It is situated a mile north of Scenic Route 5, home to Virginia’s historic plantations (Shirley, Berkeley, Westover, Evelynton, Belle Air, Sherwood Forest) and to the destination Capitol Trail Bike Path. Beautiful Upper Shirley Vineyards and Winery and charming Indian Fields Tavern offer local dining within minutes’ drive while VCU’s Rice Center conducts its ongoing James River expeditions and watershed management programs.

 

EXCLUSIVELY OFFERED BY:

Lisa Ruffin Harrison   804-337-2578
Realtor, ABR, e-PRO, GRI
LisaRuffinHarrison@gmail.com

Dede Deane Irwin   804-301-7808
Associate Broker, ABR, e-PRO, GRI
DedeDeaneIrwin@gmail.com  

Joyner Fine Properties   804-270-9440
www.JoynerFineProperties.com
319 Maple Avenue, Richmond, Virginia 23226

 

All information contained herein was obtained from sources deemed reliable but no warranty is intended, either expressed or implied. All measurements are approximate.